Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Week of Fun ... and not-so-fun

I began this week with the goal to try some small, fun project with Ian each day ...

On Monday, we played with baking soda and vinegar (good idea, Becky & Marcie!). Using a small dropper, Ian put some vinegar we colored blue into a bowl of baking soda.
After the blue vinegar spilled all over, we made some red vinegar. :) Ian enjoyed watching the baking soda/vinegar mixture bubbling!

It didn't take long for Ian to realize that he could make a LOT bigger bubbles by placing the baking soda INTO the glass of vinegar. That was his favorite part! :)
I think Ian had almost as much fun, though, taking the tape off of his big boy room walls.
To a two-year-old, even "work" is fun, I guess!
On Tuesday, we set out to make "feelie goop." I poured a cup of corn starch onto a baking sheet. Ian loved feeling the smoothness of the corn starch and even trying to taste it.
Next, we mixed about 1/2 cup water with the corn starch to make that cool hard-but-liquid "goop."
Ian was fascinated watching the goop drip off of his fingers.
It looked especially cool after we dyed the goop blue. :)

Our not-so-fun experience Tuesday happened while we were out grocery shopping. In the process of locking the driver's door, I accidentally bumped the passenger door closed ... with Ian and my keys locked inside! After a moment of panic as I thought of the horror stories of how hot cars can get very quickly (especially in Texas heat!), I called Matt who immediately left work to come rescue Ian with his second set of car keys. Meanwhile, a nice lady parked next to me notified the store security. Soon, I had by my car a grocery store employee calling for emergency back-up, a large man trying to open the partially-ajar door with a coat hanger ("This usually works!" he said.), and an entire maintenance crew suggesting that I ask other shoppers who drive Hondas to borrow their keys ("Often other keys will open the door," they said.) Meanwhile, Ian sat inside the hot car, sweating a little but mainly just reading his book, pointing out the cranes, and generally being very pleasant. He kept saying, "I can't do that, Momma!" when I tried to instruct him on how to open up his car seat buckles. Within about ten minutes, Matt pulled into the parking lot, right before an ambulance and police car came to help, too. "I was able to get here very quickly," Matt told the police man with a smile. Thankfully, God helped Matt to hit all green lights and helped Ian to remain pleasant the whole time. Ian had no sign of any injury (or any clue about what had just happened). What an embarrassing, humbling situation -- one of those times when you feel like you probably deserve the "worst mom of the day" award. Thankfully, we have a merciful Heavenly Father who covers up those mistakes and gives us a fresh start every day!





No comments: